Portsmouth A Love Story

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

What I Know

Public Radio has a series called What I Know for which listeners send in pieces about something that they know. I was thinking about this and came up with some random things that I know—or at least I think that I know. These are:

How much I do not know.

My father was a doctor, and he would attend medical conferences from time to time. He seemed to be the person who would attend all the sessions that he could. I would often ask him what he had learned after the conference. His answer was always “How much I don’t know.” 

One of the doctors from the clinic where he had practiced came to my father’s funeral. He told me that he had not been at the clinic very long when my father made an appointment with him so that my father could learn from him what was new in this doctor’s field of medicine.

I hope to always have my father as an example and to remember that there is always a lot more to learn. What is as important to remember is, that I do not know everything. There are things I have come to believe in and have learned that I would have said “oh, right” (with a tinge of sarcasm) about 20 years ago. 

Lifelong curiosity is good.

I think that the above story about my dad illustrates this. Curiosity, if not the intrusive kind, keeps us stretching and learning. It keeps us seeing things with new eyes, hopefully with the curiosity of a child, seeing everything as new.

Be nice to everyone.

I watched my mom be nice to just about everyone she encountered. And, that was what people would say about her, “she’s so nice.” Certainly being polite and courteous is the next best thing if you cannot be nice to everyone. I also remember watching her and her mother (my MorMor as we called her) work a room, greeting everyone they could, smiling, asking them how they were. The warmth of these two women was wonderful to see.

A number of years ago, I made being at least polite, if not outright friendly, to cashiers, store clerks, wait staff, and those in similar positions my New Year’s Resolution. I am trying to keep this as my annual resolution. It can make a difference in someone’s life, or at least their day, if that person is treated courteously. 

Angels and Guides are more tolerant and humorous than many people.

I have been working with angels and guides for a number of years. They have yet to chastise me for what I perceive as failings and missteps. They do not give me a hard time if I do not follow their advice or fail to ask them for advice before I do something. They, rather, encourage me to learn from these and to move on. In fact, one of the sayings that came through for the Opening the Heart: Meditations on How to Be* is that, at any one moment, your are perfect for who you are. The angels and guides, however, do want us to learn and then to move on, to not be held back by fear and regret. The counterpart to this saying was that we are expected not to be static, but rather grow and change. 

I do know that angels and guides laugh at times. How could they not living directly in the unconditional love of Source and experiencing the joy that comes from that?

There are things I am just not good at, so I should just let those who are good at them do them.

One of the things I am not good at is that I am not very athletic. Just not. Never have been. Most likely will never be. So, instead, I walk, do gentle yoga from time to time and the like. I admire those who can run 5 miles, do triathlons, swim easily, play golf, or any other numerous athletic activities. 

I can knit well, but hate needlepoint so I am not great at that. I leave it to those who are fantastic at it and/or love it. 

I am a great life coach, but I am not trained as a psychologist, so I know enough to keep out of that role. I am not afraid to suggest that someone needs therapy. If they keep seeing me as well as a therapist, that is great. If they choose to see a therapist only, then bless them for taking that step.

The less personally that I take things, the more joyful life seems to be.

I find that if I do not let myself become entrapped in fear and distress for things not being the way I want them to be, the more I can enjoy what I do have. The more I detach from the outcomes that I would like to have, the more open I am to what opportunities are presented to me.

Every day is a new beginning.

Jon Kabat-Zinn says that every meditation is a new beginning in his book on mindfulness. You can easily say this about a day, a task. Am I 100% on anyone of the things that I have written about in this post? Of course not, although I wish I was. That is another thing that I know. I am able to start over every day to work on these or any task at hand. 

What are the things that you know? 

*My friend, Linda, and I are still working towards the self-publication of Opening the Heart. We expect that it will be out sometime this fall.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Kathryn Samuelson, as an intuitive, channels your angels and guides who are delighted to connect with you, and who are uniquely suited to answer your questions and address your concerns. She can receive information as to who your angels and guides are, as well as receiving information for you about family, health, job and career, and life path among other issues and concerns. She provides this guidance through the use of spiritual writing, a practice that she has engaged in since 1993. In her life coaching practice, she welcomes all clients, but specializes in helping those who are undergoing a transition in their lives—whether it is a move, a job or career change, a loss of some type, or some other transition issue. She was certified as a life coach in 2007 by the University of New Hampshire. Kathryn also leads workshops based on the set of meditation cards and book called Opening the Heart: Meditations on How to Be. She created this set with her friend, Linda Lewis. For more information: www.kathrynsamuelson.com, klsamuelsonATyahoo.com, or 781-799-7332

Other Blog Posts by Kathryn Samuelson:  Practicing Radical Ambiguity and Radical Persistence, Part 2Practicing Radical Ambiguity and Radical Persistence Part 1Turning from Rage and FearAdventures in PublishingSocial Media FatiqueSustain Your Life Card Set: A ReviewThe Day that Changed the WorldMetanoia or the Radical Transformation of Heart and MindThe Language of PlaceComing Back from the DeadDecember 21, 2012 - What I Believe, Something I Learned in FranceBuddha, Christ, Merlin: Three Wise Men for Our Age Book ReviewJana Bibi's Excellent Fortunes: Book ReviewPlease Keep Me from Taking Myself too SeriouslyNo One is an IslandBeing in TimeWhat Comes Before Happiness? Small Businesses as a Sign of HopeWhen is Enough Enough?Just Because We Can, Should We?, Choosing a Slower Path, My Journey with the Angels, Odds and Ends, Dissolving Limits, Brave Spending, Mindful Spending, Would You Have the Courage to Act?, Growth in the Winter, Book Review: Find Your Spirit Animals, As We Grow Through the Season, Simple Ways to Give, Turning Left Rather Than Right, Giving Thanks, Nurturing the Ego, Letting Things Go, Real Energy Book Review, Living with Doubt and Uncertainty, Bardo - The Things In Between, Musings On Mindfulness, You Are Here: Personal Geographies and Other Maps, The Choices We Make, Beyond: Buddhist and Christian Prayers CD Review, Riding Out Irene: A Practice in Maintaining Balance,
Post a Comment