Portsmouth A Love Story

Friday, August 26, 2011

Hereafter - Movie Review

Hereafter

The movie "Hereafter" is a story about three people who are touched by death in different ways. George (Matt Damon) is a blue-collar American who has a special connection to the afterlife. On the other side of the world, Marie (Cecile De France), a French journalist, has a near-death experience that shakes her reality. And when Marcus (Jay Mohr), a London schoolboy, loses the person closest to him, he desperately needs answers. Each on a path in search of the truth, their lives will forever changed by what they believe might--or must--exist in the hereafter.

Within days of the movie Hereafter coming out, I got calls from friends asking me
what my thoughts were about the movie. Immediately after one of the calls, I jumped in my car and drove to a local theatre. Just the sound of the title HEREAFTER sounds like it might be give the viewer a metaphysically minded experience. The Director is Clint Eastwood, typically known for quality films. It was nice and surprising to hear that he was taking on a topic that is very personal to most people yet hardly ever talked about. I was hoping the movie would provoke a discussion about death and what happens when we die. I strongly feel that by the end of this century--the Age of Energy, the science community will be able to explain the process of death and what happens when we move from a physical energetic state to a non-physical state of being. Why all the mystery really? It's like the world is still flat when it comes to the concept of death/transition. I suppose we don't hear about the real experimentation taking place on this topic, because there's no money to be made by drug companies for the discovery. Thus we wait.

As the intro says, the movie is split into three distinctively separate stories with people in the U.S, France and the UK. I had to wonder while I was watching the movie if this was purposely written to attract and market to an international audience. At the end, their lives intersect. The movie moves slowly but has some great photography when it comes to the French Journalist's experience with death. Her dramatic scene is interesting to watch but not believable--but then we want to be entertained, right?

If you're looking for a mediumship display reminiscent of John Edward or Suzanne Northrup, you might be disappointed. There's not a whole lotta metaphysical moving and shaking. It's more a movie of going within rather than a smoke and mirrors metaphysical experience.

All in all, I would say it's worthy of seeing. It's not a great date flick but if you're like me and like to experience someone else's story, then you might enjoy the experience.

I have to say that I didn't feel satisfied with the ending. I thought the movie began when it ended. It's like an author giving you the background of the characters in a story then ending the book before they've had a chance to do anything together. It left me wanting to see Hereafter II to see what happens next and how the story progresses.

Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. R. Ann Rousseau writes about spiritual metaphysical topics on her website http://www.explorebeyondtheusual.com/

Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Amazon. This means I receive a commission if you purchase Amazon products from this website. This site is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are my own. Sometimes that's very obvious.


Post a Comment